This is my bookshelf. Books that inspired me. Books I particularly liked preceded with
**, substantially above average with
These 2 books are so good when you‘re in university studying physics, but do not really know why we study physics. I skipped the classes but felt guilty, so I went to library to find some books related to physics. Then OMG, this man is really interesting and gave me motivations to study physics. Well, I studied enough to pass physics, electromagnetic, ... but I remember nothing.
First time I read it when I was 19. I just got my first salary from making scallion pancakes ($3 per hour), I bought a collins English dictionary ($40!!) along with this book because the stories of first chapter reasonates with me. I read it and a seed of programming planted into my heart.
I was in a terrible job and this book made me realized and quit that job.
I was in another terrible job (commuting) and this book made me quit and find a remote job.
The Q&A style to teach programming is nothing I‘ve ever seen. And this book is written for non-tech people like me!
I read in 2015-ish. I discovered this when I was checking out Japan Society NYC‘s YouTube channel. This becomes my guideline to buy things carefully and throw away things easily.
I was into Netflix‘s culture deck and bought this book to learn more.
Sci-fi recommended by a friend. You will finish in one day because it is so fascinated...
My habit of apply
‘sfrom users‘s came from here.
Derek Siver‘s reluctant entrepreneurial stories.
If you have to wait to go surfing on Satuday 3pm, then you‘re a loser.
Probably my first book of intro to programming! I finished all exercises on paper and pen in a library of one hot summer.
I like the Mario metaphor that there is no going back in time.
Can I say this is probably the best onboarding book go into work at a giant tech company?
Just For Fun
A short book by Linus to know more about the stories behind creating Linux.
At this point of life, I only read tech / tech related books. I would like to read something else. Please send me your recommendations!
Hey some books are so bad but you...
Books I marked
** maybe the worst book to you, because I read in the time I most needed and got inspired. A book needs to read by you at the right time. Other people‘s best books maybe worst book of yours, because you already read other good ones.
Where to find good books to read?
- Podcast often talks about books
- Brainpickings by Maria Popova
- Follow people who read on Twitter
- A good book leads you to another one
- Conference talks often recommend books
- Find out what your friends are reading
- Patrick Collison‘s Bookshelf
- 297 books by Brandur Leach
- Books I’ve read by Derek Sivers
- Books which have influenced me most by Tyler Cowen
- This twitter thread
Books I bought but haven‘t finished
- Scheme and the Art of Programming
- How to win friends and influence people
- Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh
- I am a Strange Loop by Douglas R. Hofstadter
- Life: A User‘s Manual by Georges Perec
- Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?
- The Soul of A New Machine
- Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins Of The Internet
If you would like to be an angel of my life, my wish list.
Recommend by friends
- Ted Chiang
- Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley's Bill Campbell
Failed to read
- SICP (never made it to chapter 4)