Internet in Japan divides into "Cable Provider" and "Service Provider". If you live in a Aparto / Mansion, you will need to talk to your management company in order to get a fiber internet. Because fiber internet need some minor construction and your management company will probably say no and your building already has a established service provider that you as an outliner will need to pay the price of construction.
Process of Getting a (Fiber) Internet
- House Inspection (1-2 hours)
- House Construction
- Start using Service
1-4 costs about 1.5 month and ¥10000-¥30000 (usually has a plan to split the money into monthly bill / cashback, so basically free).
The Cable Provider are from Telephone Company, Electricity Company, and Television Company. They reused their existing infra and pull fiber to your house.
Telephone: NTT Group
Electricity: KDDI 電力系通信事業者
Television (CATV, Railway): ITSCOM, JCOM
The area coverage is limited for Electricity and Television provider. Telephone Provider has the widest coverage.
You rent cable from Cable Provider.
A Service Provider can help you rent the cable from Cable Provider. They do the work for you so fiber can at your home. They offer free ONU/HGE. Rent you router.
If you get a 1Gbps/5Gbps/10Gbps, make sure all your devices, cable, adapter can support the speed.
- Understand maximum speed your Computer can support
- Understand maximum speed your Phone can support
- 802.11ac, 802.11ax, WiFi 6, 10GBASE-T
Your Service Provider usually rent you (wireless) router on a monthly basis (¥100).
- Where you live decides which provider is the best. So I cant tell you the absolute best Service Provider. It varies from area to area.
- Avoid Carrier unless a riduculous cashback/campaign is offered (> ¥100,000+)0
- Avoid NURO 光, Softbank 光1
- au光 is pretty ok
- Find the top 3 internet providers in みんなのネット回線速度
- Check on Cable Provider site among the top 3 who supports IPv62
NURO光 min_faves:10read some real reviews on twitter
- Check how transparent information is before you apply (more transparent, the better)
- Check easy it is to end the contract (easier, the better)
- Set Campaign maybe good if you are buying TV, Fridge together but they usually sell you with shitty Service Provider.
- You probably dont need any of the Option Services other than renting (wireless) router from them.
- Do check the spec of the router they lend to you.
- Avoid Television provider
There are Capacity Cap there per month, but usually the cap is reasonable so you dont need to worry about (E.g. 10TB per month).