There is really no downtown of Tokyo. My definitioin of downtown of Tokyo would be the inside of Yamanote line. Live close to Yamanote line stations is pretty convenient.
People frequently ask me for accommodation recommendation, following are decent places I’ve stayed or hear good things.
For Airbnb I only recommend this listing because I’ve met this person.
(¥10000 JPY ~ $95 USD)
- Nui Hostel - Mostly there for coffee, in Asakusa area
- BUNKA HOSTEL TOKYO (Asakusa)
- BOOK AND BED TOKYO (Ikebukuro) - a bookstore you can spend a night
- UNPLAN Kagurazaka
- DDD Hotel (¥7700 ~)
- Toyoko INN - low budget narrow hotels everywhere (ft. free breakfast)
- Daiwa Roynet Hotel - boring business hotels everywhere
- APA Hotel
- Hotel Gracery (Operate by WHG)
- Hotel Sunroute
- ANA Crowne Plaza (Operate by IHG)
- Mitsui Garden
I much prefer Mistui Garden hotels. Public bath is the Japanese experience. They are one of the first hotel I've seen that improves the tattoo situation). Also their hotel’s breakfast are the best of the best.
- Celestines Hotels (Kyoto one is amazing!)
- Park Hyatt Shinjuku (Lost in Translation classic)
- HOSHINOYA Hotels (the ultimate Japanese experience)
- Bar Hotel 箱根香山
- Wired Hotel Asakusa