Here I collected popular recommendations. For what I use, please check my use page. Since I use Mac, things list here are biased for Mac users. Some products may not be avilable where you live, so get a local equivalent one that is comparable. All links are not affiliate links.1
No affiliate links.
Building a home office for Remote work.
Fresh air is critical to health, happiness, and productivity. My recipe: Get an @getawair to measure your air quality, use an Alen BreathSmart air purifier to clean the air, and find a way to introduce fresh air into your home (HRV or just windows). https://t.co/ooXBvejwKw— DHH (@dhh) September 21, 2018
Make sure air flows in your house and you can use an Air Purifier to improve the air quality too.
- Dyson Pure Hot+Cool Cryptomic (you can remotely control via mobile app to purify your home when you‘re out)
- BALMUDA Pure (Japan)
- BALMUDA AirEngine (Outside Japan)
Have plants in interior can reduce stress and promote wellbeing.
i think about this illustration by cécile dormeau a lot pic.twitter.com/JblQcg1jMf— martyna (@_babyfrog) April 5, 2020
First download a light meter app to find out how much light in your home office. The unit of light is Footcandle. Then according to how much light you have. You can get plants and plants can be categorized into:
Low light plants - 30 footcandles
Medium light plants - 50-100 footcandles
High light plants - 150+ footcandles
Another factor to decide what plant to get is how much care you want to put. Start with low-maintaineance plants.
Planter (container holds your plant) is better with subirrigated, means you fill water in the bottom and plant drink water from their root system.
A website you can learn more about indoor plants: The Sill.
Mac mini / Mac Pro / MacBookPro 13 / 16 should be enough to power most of the following items.
If you got a laptop, and you want to use it. Then you need to lift your laptop to keep a ergonomical height when you look at your laptop.
If you want to claim your space and not using your laptop,
- Macally Vertical Laptop Stand $40
- mTower $45
- Twelve South BookArc Stand for MacBook $60
- Vertical Docking Station $150
Stand for going out
Moft is invisible and can be installed on your laptop to use when you go out.
Turn on faster key response.
I am hooked by HHKB and never look back (Hybrid Type-S).
Since we type all day, you may also want to buy a hand cream or a nice hand wash like Resurrection Aromatique Aesop Hand Wash #SupportAustralia.
Mouse should be next to your keyboard.
- Finger operate: Kensington Expert Trackball Mouse $90
- Thumb: logitech MX Ergo Wireless Trackball $90
- Index Finger: logitech M720 TRIATHLON $50
- logitech MX Anywhere 2s $80
- logitech MX Master 3 $100
- logitech MX Vertical $100
- Evoluent Vertical Mouse C via Gary Bernhardt
In Japan, logitech is called logicool
Trackpad should be placed next to your keyboard.
- Apple Magic Trackpad 2 Silver
- Apple Magic Trackpad 2 Space Grey
Watch this fantastic video on why we need wrist rest and make your own in 3 seconds.
You can also buy:
- GRIFITI slim wrist rest
- 3M Gel Wrist Rest 18" $20
- Uplift $1000~
- Jarvis Standing Desk $400~
- (UK, US, Japan) FLEXISPOT
- (Singapore) Omnidesk
- (Singapore) AmpDesk
Not standing desk, but pretty:
If you‘re standing, it‘s highly recommended to have a Anti-Fatigue Comfort standing Mat.
Good chairs offers 10+ years warranty. For 10+ years of comfortable sitting and health. It‘s not that expensive!!
Herman Miller Chairs: Sayl ($550+), Cosm $900+, Aeron ($1400+), Embody ($1500+).
Find more chairs: BTOD‘s best office chairs for 2020.
You can also sit on Exercise/Balance/Fitness ball to change a bit, but not for long.
BTOD does good review for chairs.
When you sit on the right position. If your feet not touching the ground, you may consider to buy a foot pillow.
Protect your floor. Easier to move with your chair caster. You buy different chair mat based on your floor type, thickness of the surface, and size of the area you will roll with your chair.
- Polycarbonate Plastic Chair Mat
- Bauhutte chair mat
You want monitor that is 4K+ with USB-C. 60Hz+. 27"+. 60Hz so no delay.
- Dell U2720Q $580 2
- LG Ultrafine 4K from Apple $700
- LG Ultrafine 5K from Apple $1300
- Dell U3219Q
- Dell U3419W Curved via thomasfuchs $760
- Dell U3818DW Curved via garybernhardt $1050
Please read this guide about Play HDR video on your Mac. Only few HDMI products (cable/adapter) can play HDR content:
DisplayPort needs >= 1.4 to be able to play HDR.
For Netflix, you need to use Safari.
You‘ll also want to install [MonitorControl] app to control your external monitor brightness & volume. Or [SwitchResX] to set resolutions for different apps.
If your work needs to see true color (medical), try EIZO‘s monitors.
To keep a ergonomical height when you look at your Monitor. It‘s flexible for sitting and standing.
- Arctic Z+2 Pro - $50
- Fully Jarvis Monitor Arm $99
- Flo Monitor Arm — $310, Up to 9kg, depth 52.3cm
- Olin Monitor Arm — $350, Up to 9kg, depth 67.4cm
- Monitor Stand Riser
- HiRise Monitor Stand
If possible, get a Monitor Arm. It‘s more flexible.
Noise Cancelling headphones
You want to do deep work without noise.
- Bose QC35 II $299
- Bose 700 $399 (newer design)
- Sony WH-1000XM3
- AirPods Pro
Make your headphone comfy: Softie covers.
Improve Your Meeting
USB-C so it can easily plug into newer MacBook Pros. Otherwise you need adapters.
|Blue Yeti Nano||$99|
|Rode NT-USB Mini||$99|
|Jabra Speak 410||$130||USB 2.0|
|Audio-Technica AT2020 USB+||$150|
If you want to do podcasts: Podcasting Setup 2020
Blue compass $99 (looks nicer)
PL2T boom arm
RODE PSA1 Arm
Easy direction is buy a webcam. Another direction to go is to reuse your existing DSLR.
- Canon, USB-C cable, apps
- Search "use camera as webcam"
MacBook Pro did not come with 1080p webcamp so...
logitech C925e — 1080p 30fps $100
logitech C922S — 1080p 30fps $100
logitech C920 — HD Pro 1080p 30fps (Superseded by C922S) $80
logitech HD Webcam C615 — 1080p $70
logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM — 4K 30fps $200
Razer Kiyo — with built-in ring light (1080p 30fps, 720p 60fps) $100
If you own a Pro Display XDR, Logitech 4K Pro.
You can also install Webcam Settings app to zoom in and out, tweak settings like Aperture, Brightness, Contrast, Hue, etc., at hardware level.
Read also: In Sight.
Try to get natural light in your room. Natural light makes you happy and look much nicer!
Your face could be underexposed all the time and you want your face to be clear.
Could try these lights:
- EACHSHOT ES240 Kit CRI 95+ via @DanielleMorrill
- elgato key light via Vla Head
- Clip-on LED ring light
If you have strong backlights you can try to find Lighting Reflectors.
Declutter Your Desk
Brands to find products:
My strong bias is CalDigit TS3 Plus dock... One dock has 15 ports.
Make sure buy one that is forgiving on placement (place your device on the right angle on the charging mat). Buy ones that can charge 7.5W+.
You can charge AirPods 2, AirPods Pro, iPhone 8+, Nintendo Switch.
- Base Station by NOMAD—Nicer look
- SliceCharge Pro 6-Coils Wireless Charging Mat—Forgiving than Base
Belkin BOOST CHARGE
USB Docks / Hub
Above you have so many gear, you need a USB Hub to power them. Keep wires organized. Use your old USB-A things. Read a SD card. HDMI port, et cetera.
One to rule everything probably is CalDigit TS3 Plus — This one has 15 ports of everything! You can still charge your MacBook Pro with 87W! I‘m a happy customer!
If you are looking for a one to go out with, probably
Sometimes you need to go out and work.
For MacBookPro 16".
- Boundary X-Pac Errant or X-Pac Prima
- W.Concept 3 WAY BAG 113 RUGGED CANVAS 15
- Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L via Wes Bos
- QWSTION daypack
- Arkiv Modular System by Nate
- Nomatic Travel Bag (North America)
- Bellroy - Classic Backpack Plus 22L
- ORTLIEB Commuter Daypack City (Germany)
- The Hauser (Waterproof Hydration Pack)
Also check out this thread.
- Cote & Ciel Isar Rucksack
- GORUCK GR1
Inspirations for more
Set up some speakers and an old mic and now I think my battlestation is ready pic.twitter.com/xh23xfujeg— Jessie Frazelle (@jessfraz) May 6, 2020
- Suz Hinton‘s live coding setup
- Also Suz Hinton‘s Remote Work - a guide to ensuring quality video conferencing
- Charli Marie‘s home office setup
- Paul Stamatiou‘s Stuff I use
- Basecamp‘s remote desk 2020 & 2015 editions
- Zapier‘s This is What a Remote Office Looks Like
- GitLab‘s Equipment Examples
- Ask your friends!
Lastly, make sure bluetooth devices are at least 4.0+ (2019.01.21 5.1 released).
That was a lot of stuff. Why I even write this? Because I like you and do not want you to go through million sites with Ads and pop-ups then find more or less the same with this list.
But the most useful thing you have and it‘s FREE is to take micro breaks often and frequently!!
You like this? Show me what your home office looks like: @JuanitoFatas