A few companies now are running on Rails Edge while keep their business intact:
- Basecamp’s HEY
- This website you’re browsing
Running Rails edge meaning tracking your application to the main branch of Rails and you can still decide to update weekly.
If you’re already on Rails edge, usually you only get 1-2 PRs per day and each PR only has about 10 commits.
- Improve your test suite overtime.
- Use the new feature and bug fixes... Now
- Higher chance to get your problem fixed. Maintainers are more interested to fix the problems on main instead of year-old stable release.
- Be the canary of the community. Help spot and report new Rails bugs that affect you
- Major version upgrade is painful and costly. When the time you decided to upgrade your application, you’re about 1-2 years behind what’s going on on the main branch of Rails.